- This event has passed.
Gas Turbine Engine Accident Investigation (GTAI 23-1)
October 24 @ 8:00 am - October 28 @ 12:00 pm$2825
This specialized accident investigation course is directed to fixed wing turbojet and turboprop as well as turbine powered rotary wing aircraft. The course examines specific turbine engine investigation methods and provides technical information in the related area of material factors and metallurgical failure investigation. This is a fundamental accident investigation course. Individuals with many years of engine investigations may find this course too basic. It is assumed that the attendee has a basic understanding of jet engines.
Our Gas Turbine Accident Investigation (GTAI) course has been expanded to include hands-on lab exercises using two Honeywell TPE331-10 engines. Participants learn the inner-workings of various gas turbine engine parts, it’s characteristics, and how engine wreckage is examined during aviation accident investigations. Students learn how to scrutinize bent propeller blades and turbo and compressor blades in order to piece together the state of an engine during the moment of impact.
To provide the participant with the basic skills and knowledge to effectively examine the involvement of a turbine engine in an aircraft accident.
Who Should Attend
Individuals with responsibility for the post-accident examination of gas turbine engines and individuals responsible for integration of engine information into the total accident investigation.
- Aviation Gas Turbine Engine Accident Investigation
- Types of Gas Turbine Engines
- Mounting of Turbine Engines
- Major Components
- Controls and Accessories
- Related and Interfacing Aircraft Components
- Engine Operating Characteristics
- Potential In-Flight Engine Occurrences
- Role of the Investigator
- Best Practices in Investigations
- Documentation of Physical Evidence
- Investigation of Incidents
- Investigation at the Accident Site
- Engine Disassembly Investigation
- Engine Operation Speed at Terrain Impact
- Engine Uncontained Components
- Engine Fire
- Material Factors
- Investigation Procedures
- Basic Metallurgy of Gas Turbine Materials
- Failure Analysis – Fundamentals and Mechanical Factors
- Failure Analysis – Fracture Mechanisms
- Engine Component Investigation Examples
- Case Study
Course Duration: 4.5 Days
Published on March 5th, 2021
Last updated on March 1st, 2022